[pygame] Some advice for closing Pygame from within an application?

Hi,

I haven't been using Pygame for long, so I'm still going through documentation looking for an answer to this, but I have done my game and it's all fine up to this:

 - i have a PyQt graphical application which at some point launches a pygame game window.
 - when I want to exit the game and get back to my application, neither of the normal Escape key or close button ways seem to be ok.

Everything dies a quiet death. When the game is played on its own, the Escape key works fine.... what am I missing for quitting it without everything dying?

Thanks in advance for all you possible help! And a Happy New Year!