Re: [pygame] Capabilities of Pygame

You couldn't build a game that's up to scope with any 3D game, because you wouldn't be able to use 3D. For that, you'd need either PyOpenGL (with Pygame) or Pyglet. The latter is better in some ways; the main advantage Pygame/PyOpenGL has that I can think of is joystick support. On the other hand, Pyglet is compatible with PyPy, which can give you massive speed improvements, and it's easier to use than PyOpenGL (or so I've heard; I haven't done anything with either myself).

The Pythonic way is to not worry about speed until it's actually an issue. If speed is an issue, you can re-write parts in C, or there's the aforementioned PyPy.

--- On Fri, 1/13/12, Ryan Strunk <ryan.strunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Ryan Strunk <ryan.strunk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pygame] Capabilities of Pygame
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, January 13, 2012, 1:45 AM

Hello everyone,

As I embark on this journey of learning Pygame and game design, I have one last burning question I havenât been able to find an answer to. Iâve heard that Python, as an interpreted language, isnât as fast as languages like C++. It follows, then, that Pygame would suffer the same drawback in terms of speed. What I donât know, though, is how much this potential limitation would affect game play.

Using Pygame, is it possible to create games that would rival the scope and complexity of mainstream titles out there. Could you build a World the size of World of Warcraft and still have it be responsive to players? Could you build a game as fast-moving as Mortal Kombat, play it over the internet with a good connection, and still have it be as smooth as the Xbox?

I want to make sure I donât get deep into a project only to realize that the language was better suited to a different style of game.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Ryan