Re: [pygame] Pygame 1.9.3?

On 9 January 2017 at 11:19, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8 January 2017 at 23:58, Mikhail V <mikhailwas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just remember I was unable to open grayscale PNGs on Linux (although on Windows I can do it without problems). I mean pygame.image.load() method.

Do you have the image that caused the problem, so other people can try to reproduce it? Can you open an issue about it?

I have digged in my memory a bit and I recall few details more.
First, the issue was not specific to particulr file, but was a global issue and
it was due to somewhat not fully succesful installation or conflicting
of PIL vs Pillow or something like that, I am not sure. So trying to install
pygame on linux required dependencies for image module (which is IMO strange
and I think this core module should not be so much dependant on side
packages) and there was something happening and hard to troubleshoot actually.
I don't exclude the possibility that the messages about lacking
dependencies were misleading. And the issue sometimes followed me at different
attempts on different PC's.
After that loading any image other than BMP ended up with strange error "file is not a correct BMP"
or something like that.

I will try to make a Pygame installation on recent Fedora over a weekend
or so and if I notice something I'll let you know. Last time I did it
was a year ago and things could change since then.