Re: [pygame] Pygame comparison to BlitzBasic

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 06:07:02PM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> it also does have a simple hand-holding ide for people just getting
> started, which is certainly a barrier for first time programmers using
> pygame on windows. on the other hand, it also costs $50, locks you
> into directx, and does not come complete with the shredwheat seal of
> approval :]

I asked our chap at work who is using BlitzBasic why he is using it:

>Can I ask you some questions about BlitzBasic?
>
>- How did you find out about it in the first place?
>- Did you consider using any alternatives?
>- What was the main reason you chose BlitzBasic?

His answers:

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:08:02 +0100 , Barnaby Green
<barnaby.green@creaturelabs.com> wrote:

>1. I tried it on the Amiga ages ago (when I was into AMOS) but then I
>think Mr. Skuse told me there was a PC version I could download free.
>2. There didn't seem to many good ones. BB has a lot of history, quite a
>strong community, I already know a bit of it and it was used to
>prototype Worms. It also has good documentation.
>3. See above ;) Also BB meant I didn't have to do lots of low end stuff
>that I'd have to do in C++. The whole package is easy to use. I still
>have access to low end routines. There's in built debugging. It's cool
>;)

He also later mentioned the installer being very easy.  Certainly, I
downloaded the trial version, installed it (on Windows 98), grabbed our
prototype game from CVS and had it running without _any_ problems.  Even got
it single stepping in the debugger, though there didn't seem to be any
breakpoints at all (a bit like in IDLE under Windows at the moment ;-)

I don't know if BlitzBasic is even the same target market.  Pygame has
different advantages - much better language, cross platform, owned by
the community.  BlitzBasic with hard-coded assembler stuff someone has
spent a long time tweaking, is likely to be quicker for heavily sprite
driven things.

Besides, now I'm doubting why I'm even thinking we _should_ compete.  If
people are happy with Blitz, then good luck to them.  It's not very
expensive (£29.99/$50US with lots of goodies in a box), and with the trial you
only pay for it when you know you need to.

Francis