Re: [pygame] Clarification of mixer/channel/music_mixer objects...

At 17:05 18/07/01, you wrote:
>sounds like much have this has been 'discovered' already,
>but here comes some more info for enquiring minds...

:)

> > If so, how do you set this placement? I couldn't
> > see anything in the docs (although I am short-
> > sighted!) that explained...
>
>unfortunately SDL has NO support for anything like
>this. the sound channel plays however it was loaded.
>i do want to add a "soundarray" module, which can
>turn the audio buffers into Numeric arrays of numbers.
>from there it would be very simple to do things like
>panning, echos, reverse, and the whole handbag of
>little audio goodies. it may come soon, but who can
>guess at these things? :]

It would certainly be a nice thing to have. Civil doesn't require it, but I
can think of any number of games where stereo alignment to sprite x offsets
would be tasty! :)

> > In addition, does the mixer_music object only
> > support playback of a large streamed wav file? No
> > other formats (Ogg/Mp3)?
>
>there's a lot of support for different streaming music
>formats. i'll warn a couple things here. first, the MP3
>playback is a bit shady, i wouldn't recommend using it
>without doing a bit of testing first to make sure its
>gonna work for you. using MIDI can also be a problem,
>since it requires the Timidity sound patches to be found
>in the same directory as your game. Ogg support is good
>and sounds very nice, you'll just need a SDL_mixer that
>is linked with libvorbis.

Ogg isn't really an option I don't think. Not many people are gonna
care/link to it for quite a while. I wouldn't want to push the boundaries
on this format. Not for a year at least! ;-)

>the other good news is there is big support for MOD and the
>entire family of sampled music formats (mtm, xm, it, etc).
>i think these would be your best bet, if you've got the
>ability to put them together.

There's no problem putting those formats together (for me at least), so I'm
gonna try and push the XM format (Jan?)... I know that under SDL most stuff
seems well implemented. There's the usual variance on vibrato and slides,
but nothing I can't cope with. I don't expect any difference purely by
going through PyGame.

Thanks for the info Pete.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman had affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room munching pills and
listening to repetitive music." -- Unknown