[pygame] layered surfaces

This isn't necessarily a pygame question, but I'm wondering if anyone has
done this before, and might have a pointer or two.

What I'm trying to do--at least conceptually--is have layers of surfaces
(maybe sprite groups?) being manipulated independently by different threads.
The desired effect being that when I clear and update sprites on a higher
layer, the cleared section uses as a background all the lower layers, even
if they are changing too.

I guess the most obvious thing to do would be to actually use multiple
surfaces where each clear uses as a background the layer below it. Seems
pretty inefficient... Is there a better way to do this?

What'd be really cool would be if you could tag entire sprite groups to
behave as if they were on layers. Much like RenderUpdates does layering of
individual sprites, but with entire groups. (Is that already possible, but I
just don't see how?)

Thanks muchly!