Re: [pygame] Where to next?

Jasper Phillips wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, theGREENzebra wrote:

If you are sprouting crap, you should see a doctor, or maybe a farmer.

Excellent suggestion! I will chase this up immediately.

Be sure to get a commission on the sales.

Come on guys. The jokes are funny and all, but the original post was
serious and one of the more interesting ones I've seen on this list.
I'd hate to see it die from mere thread subversion.

It would be cool to see pygame become more, perhaps with library extensions
for particular game genres. For example I'm fond of turn based strategy
games, and think it would be cool if there were a strong underlying framework
for developing them.

If nothing else, it would be cool to BS about!

-Jasper

I appologise for the bad joke. But reserve the right to make more ;)

Check out the stuff on the project page. There's heaps of interesting things happening with pygame/python gaming. There's also stuff not listed there like pyode(the cool physics library), and soya3d the 3d engine.

There's pygsear, a very interesting frame work appearing. There's also a bunch of other frame works appearing around the place, and some which have been around for a while(pyplatform, pyzzle). Things like the strikeops which quite a bit of interesting code was made for. There's also lots of individuals developing code seperately for use in games. There's also the pcr.

I like the way that libraries are developing seperately at the moment. That is each developing seperately in their own style. Maybe some of that stuff could be shared in the core pygame library though. Perhaps things which are modular could be put in a pygame-utilities or something.

Here's a small list of some code which could be moved into pygame or a seperate pygame-utils type library:

paths.py in the strikeops repository. It's for moving creatures along paths at set speeds.
bezier.py (there was one posted to the list a while ago).
An animation class like the one in strikeops or in suckabots. So it's easy for people to make animations.
A zipfile like access for images and sounds(there's a few instances of this code lying around).
Special effects/transition library(heaps of cool stuff for this in the pcr!)
Path finding code(there are some python A* implementations around, and some interesting code in strikeops).

All the code would have to be cleaned up and tested/documented, but it wouldn't be too hard to make a library of all this stuff.

Have fun!
Rene.