Re: [pygame] Where to next?

On Sunday, Jul 13, 2003, at 22:29 America/New_York, campbell barton wrote:

All these ideas are really interesting-

2 Libraries not talked about are OpenAL for audio and GLUT for input.
Mabe somebody can tell me why this is not a good idea to use these.
I couldn't remember the name for OpenAL, I've never used it so I don't know what it's like.. It can't be any worse than SDL audio :)

GLUT is *HORRIBLE AWFUL HORRIBLE*, don't even consider using it for anything sufficiently advanced if you have an alternative.

I thing a gui would be better as a seperate module WXWINDOWS? and kept that way.
Everything would be modular, of course. Most of the time you wouldn't need system widgets, but sometimes you would.

For a more intergrated system a new intergrated ui could be written or just use pyUI? I have never used pyUI.
Writing a new UI is not fun stuff. PyUI is usable, but it doesn't use system widgets.

Is it true that you can skip pygame and sdl by using PyOpenGL, OpenAL, Glut and Twisted?
Technically, but GLUT sucks. You'd also need PIL or something like it to work with image files.

-bob