[pygame] Pygame 1.7 Prerelease

The 1.7 prerelease is ready. This month has seen a ton of work on Pygame to get it ready. At this point all the features are implemented, but we need a few weeks to shake out any problems. There will likely be another prerelease in one week.

http://pygame.org/ftp/pygame-1.6.2.win32-py2.3.exe
http://pygame.org/ftp/pygame-1.6.2.tar.bz2

One of the biggest internal changes is switching most types to the newstyle Python objects. This means the minimum Python release is now 2.2. There is a totally rewritten sprite module, it should be backwards compatable, but could use more testing. There is also the new experimental movie backend that requires ffmpeg. This new 'movieext' module needs a some simple hand editing to get built. I've also tried to apply all the appropriate downstream patches (from Debian, FreeBSD, etc). Outside that it is mainly new features and bugfixes. Here they are.

better SysFont support on unix
sndarray got several cleanups from Chad Lester
more Surface safety with bad sizes and init lifetimes
Surface, Rect, Sound, and Font are weakref'able
transform.chop() added from Matthias Spiller
Surface.get_rect() accepts keyword arguments for assignment
(that is my favorite new one, "mysurf.get_rect(center=(100,100))")
cleaned up draw.arc() crashes and artifacts
no more Surface.set_clip() crashes
new cursors and "xor" compiling from Bo Jangeborg
new Overlay objects for accessing video overlays from Dmitry Borisov
display.get_wm_info() added for platform dependant info
mixer.music.get_pos() works with paused music
mixer.set_num_channels() used to crash, no longer
draw.aaline() properly assigns perpixel alphas
image.frombuffer() lightning quick creates a Surface from strings

Before we reach a final 1.7 we will probably have an image.tobuffer() function. I am also expecting more functionality for the new Overlay objects from Dmitry.

My big project before the next release is to completely reorganize the documentation. I know what needs to be done, but I need to work with the generation tools I have.

The most important thing to test is the new sprite module and ensure nothing goes wrong with the newstyle types. Of course all the actual new features need more banging on.