From: "D. Hartley" <denise.hartley@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pygame-users@xxxxxxxx>; "Python tutor" <tutor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 7:19 PM
Subject: [pygame] py2exe

Hello everyone, and I apologize in advance if anyone gets this message
twice.

I am trying to figure out how to use py2exe. I've created a game and
sent it to friends before, and had to have them install python,
pygame, and livewires in order to play it, which, as you can imagine,
is a royal pain.  So the idea of a windows executable sounds just
peachy.

I downloaded the package and read through some of the samples.  They
didnt make a *whole* lot of sense, and I couldn't get them to work, so
I googled for some more beginner-friendly tutorials, and found one
basic sort of 'overview' here
http://www.free2code.net/plugins/articles/read.php?id=395 and another
tutorial by Pete Shinners here:
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/Executable.html .

I was very excited to see the later, since the chimp pygame tutorial
actually made sense to me as a beginner, and I hoped I'd be able to
follow this one as easily.

Ah, but alas...

I modified the setup.py file to match the details of my game (as best
I can imagine: I don't know what "optimize = 2                    #0,
1, or 2; like -O and -OO" means, so I just left it as his sample had
it, and I'm not sure if I put in all of the module names it will need
specified, but it looks as if its supposed to give me an error if it
can't find them).  But then the tutorial says "simply run this script
and it will do all the work. The final executable and DLLs will be
placed inside a project directory, which will be inside a directory
named "dist". "  I tried running it by doubleclicking, and it just
closed out, so I tried it with IDLE open and it gave me the following
error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Z:\misc\surprise\1\setup.py", line 49, in ?
    setup(name=project_name, scripts=[script])
  File "Z:\misc\python\lib\distutils\core.py", line 137, in setup
    raise SystemExit, gen_usage(dist.script_name) + "\nerror: %s" % msg
SystemExit: usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2
[cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

error: option --force not recognized

..... which has me stymied.  The
"Z:\misc\python\lib\distutils\core.py" file is not even the setup.py
file I'm running (which most of you probably already deduced, but
which still confuses me a little), and I have no idea what that error
is trying to tell me.  I do know, however, that no "dist" directory
was created (unless it was put in some really strange place I don't
know about).  Was there something wonky with my py2exe install, since
it's giving me an error from a file in my lib? Or am I just trying to
use py2exe incorrectly?

If you know why this isnt working, or know of any
very-beginner-friendly tutorials other than the ones I found on
google, I would surely appreciate it!

Thanks,

Denise