1.7.1 release. Re: [pygame] 1.7 releases?

Hey,

1.7.1 is the next release.  Below are the steps to make a release, so
that the different people involved can coordinate it.
docs/howto_release_pygame.txt in cvs.

The first step is this:
*  declare next release as coming soon to developers, and mailing list.

Get in any changes that haven't made it into the last release.
Soon(about a week) there will be a freeze on non bug fixes.

Cheer.

================= docs/howto_release_pygame.txt =================

Here are some steps for making a new release of pygame.  So everyone
knows what needs to be done to make a release work smoothly.

This is a draft document so far... any ideas welcome.

== release steps ==

*  declare next release as coming soon to developers, and mailing list.
*  declare feature freeze.
*  check with people on different platforms that tests are working.
*  ask platform people to sign off for their platform building, and
testing ok.
*  WHATSNEW document is updated, with any changes.
*  declare tar ball set, by making a branch in cvs with the pygame
version as rc1.  eg 1.7.1rc1
*  second round of testing goes on the new release branch.  If any
changes need to be made, all platforms need to be tested again and
signed off.  The pygame rc version is incremented and a new rc tar
ball is released.  eg 1.7.1rc2.
*  if no changes needed to be made to the rc release, then the version
is changed.  eg from 1.7.1rc1 to 1.7.1
*  release person uploads final sources tarball to website.
*  documentation is remade, and uploaded to website, not before sources.
*  release binaries, not before sources.
*  announce to the mailing list, and the world that a new pygame is released.
*  the version of pygame is incremented by 1 and pre appended.  eg
1.7.1 goes to 1.7.2pre

== Some definitions and explanations. ==

release person := person who is in charge of doing release.  Should be
one person.

platform people := people responsible for each platform.  eg macosx,
windows, linux, freebsd etc.

testing pygame := at least all the examples run ok.  Also test major
pygames, solarwolf, and pyddr work.  Try to run other gamelets, and
games that you know of.  Try to test with different parts
installed/uninstalled etc.

rc releases := these are release candidates.  If no changes need to be
made, then the pygame version is changed and it can be released.

pre releases := these are snap shots from cvs.