Re: [pygame] 1.7 releases?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:34 pm, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:47 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > What are the chances of replacing the horrid default font with the
> > Bitsream Vera Sans font? Mmm. Anti-aliased font by default. Monospace and
> > Proportional. Yummy.
>
> 1) Including a different default font would break all existing
> applications, since the current default has slightly different metrics
> than anything else.

Yeah, good point. OK, so even if it's not the default font, I still think it
should be packaged with pygame so that people have easy access to an
unencumbered, quality font.

I propose that it goes into 1.7 as an optional font, and in 1.8 it becomes the
default font. How does that sit with people?

> 2) The Bitstream font license is questionable; it certainly doesn't fit
> with the rest of the Pygame license (LGPL) very well.

Questionable in what way? From http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ I find:

"""
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of the fonts accompanying this license (âFontsâ) and associated documentation
files (the âFont Softwareâ), to reproduce and distribute the Font Software,
including without limitation the rights to use, copy, merge, publish,
distribute, and/or sell copies of the Font Software, and to permit persons to
whom the Font Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following
conditions:

The above copyright and trademark notices and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies of one or more of the Font Software typefaces.

The Font Software may be modified, altered, or added to, and in particular the
designs of glyphs or characters in the Fonts may be modified and additional
glyphs or characters may be added to the Fonts, only if the fonts are renamed
to names not containing either the words âBitstreamâ or the word âVeraâ.

This License becomes null and void to the extent applicable to Fonts or Font
Software that has been modified and is distributed under the âBitstream Veraâ
names.

The Font Software may be sold as part of a larger software package but no copy
of one or more of the Font Software typefaces may be sold by itself.
"""

That reads pretty clearly as "use it, change it, attribute it, just don't
charge directly for it"

    Richard