Re: [pygame] 1.7 releases?

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

Jasper <jasper@xxxxxxxx>:

Joe Wreschnig wrote

2) The Bitstream font license is questionable; it certainly doesn't fit
with the rest of the Pygame license (LGPL) very well.

Font license? Aren't fonts exempt from US copyright, regardless of font writers' claims to the contrary?

e.g. http://www.boingboing.net/2004/12/26/can_you_copyright_a_.html

Well, doesn't that just cover the font/typeface itself (i.e., if I
draw something that looke exactly like it, it's not a breach of
copyright) -- not its actual implementation (also, confusingly, often
called a font/typeface)? The implementation is software/data, which
*is* subject to copyright...

Actually, after some more research (of the Southern Software vs. Adobe/Emigre outcome) I would hazard fonts are effectively copyrightable. Physical typeface is not copywriteable, for a variety of sound reasons, but make it a series of 1's and 0's and presto -- it is suddenly new art and coprwritable! To me the result seems like a clear subversion of US typeface law, and it looks like Adobe won primarily due to hiring more expensive lawyers. Still, I'm not exactly keen to try it out in court. ;-)

Anyway, copyright law outside the US seems to cover fonts, so the point is moot as pygame shouldn't be restricted to only those in the US.

-Jasper