Re: [pygame] Use of PyScheme for game projects

On Jul 15, 2006, at 10:15 PM, andrew baker wrote:

I've been pondering alternative methods to allowing unknown persons to submit game code in my game engine, e.g. player created levels, characters, monsters and items, but of course sandboxing Python code is nontrivial. I've hit upon using a Scheme interpreter in Python to potentially solve this problem, with a possible variation on parsing to make the Scheme code appear more Pythonic. Has anyone had similar success or failure or a better understanding of Scheme than me who explain why this is A) awesome or B) teh suck.

And, yes, I know how daft it may seem to embed another interpreted language inside an interpreted language, but I'm expecting rather small Scheme patterns, and Python in its current state simply cannot be sandboxed, and I think I might actually hate C++. :D

If you want to use a language with a familiar syntax to users I'd probably lean towards embedding the SpiderMonkey JavaScript implementation, rather than trying to make Scheme look like Python.

-bob