Re: [pygame] Growing Pygame

A few years ago when I was new with pygame I had all these great ideas for making featureful high level game engines which would enable me to make my games faster.  What I ended up with was a load of steaming useless code and no game.  While I'm no expert, I've found that most of the time it's actually quite useful to start with just the low level pygame and build on that, as different styles of games really do have differing requirements.  Any extensions to pygame such as this probably best suited as something seperate from pygame, akin to pygext, pgu, lgt and whatever some of those other projects are.

As for being good for pyweek and other compos, I think any more additions to pygame have a distinct possibility of making it become a "game engine" rather than just a library - which most competitions don't allow.

I don't know, myself I just really like how small and lightweight pygame is.  It's a good way to learn 2d programming, as it's low level enough you can track what's going on, but not so low level that you feel like you have to tread through muck to get anything done.  If reinventing the wheel means rewriting a 4 or 5 line for loop, is it really that bad?

I do like seeing more work on things like game engines that use pygame, but I wouldn't want to see those projects merge with the core.

About people getting recognition though, maybe some of the higher profile engines and add on libraries could be featured on the resources page at pygame.org.  If you want to contribute to the core, it's still possibile to send your stuff to the proper channels, right?