Re: [pygame] Growing Pygame

On 7/25/06, Bob Ippolito <bob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What you're saying sounds good in theory, but all I'm really reading
is a bunch of hand waving with no code or evidence that people would
use something like what you propose.

That is true. I guess we could gauge need by responses to this thread.

Is there really a demand for this? Do you have any *specific* tools
and utilities in mind? Why not just put them in the trunk if they're
a good idea?

Things I see being used often are:

2D scene graph
Higher level 2D physics and collision API
Resource management tools

Once pygame has a standard scenegraph, it can grow other things on
top, such as map traversal, camera objects, precomputed fx etc.

I think a pygame-contrib package could become a 'pygame standard
library', and would allow for a more frequent update and release
cycle, which is the primary reason for not putting it straight into
the trunk.

-Sw