Re: [pygame] Growing Pygame

On 7/25/06, Peter Shinners <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 22:36 +0800, Simon Wittber wrote:
> Let's build a pygame-contrib package, which is distributed with the
> pygame installers. The package contains contributed tools and
> utilities, which might be candidates for the pygame distribution.

I think there's some good reasons to do this. Arguably there are niche
parts of Pygame that belong more in a package like this. Things like
sysfont and color (maybe even sprites).

If we keep contrib stuff out of pygame, there is one other thing which needs to be thought about. How are contributions 'blessed' and guaranteed to work for some period of time? Should there be a stable / experimental set of packages? I think this is what you mean by Gnome eggs. We just need a stable package to 'roll up' to.

Here is a potential implementation plan. Comments appreciated.

1. Document the aim and goals of pygame-contrib, so that it is not
confused with pygame itself, and users (all of us) understand what it
is for.

2. Choose a maintainer or two. This should preferably be a willing
volunteer with plenty of time (at least for the next few months) for
this kind of work :-)

3. Document the veto powers. BDFL style, or design by committee?
Document acceptance criteria. Eg PEP-8 style guide (or pygame style if
pygame style is different to PEP 8), LIcense etc. Document submission
process. Document the 'blessing' process. Need to keep these documents
as short and simple as possible. Wiki pages might do.

4. Create new svn folder in pygame SVN.

5. Initial import of some tools for guidelines and examples.

6. Build packaging and release scripts.

7. Release.

What do you think?

-Sw.