Re: [pygame] Growing Pygame

On 7/25/06, Bob Ippolito <bob@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Things I see being used often are:
>
> 2D scene graph
> Higher level 2D physics and collision API
> Resource management tools
>
> Once pygame has a standard scenegraph, it can grow other things on
> top, such as map traversal, camera objects, precomputed fx etc.

Sure, sounds great. Where's the code?

This is my personal code. To actually get something that works, you may have to go back a few revisions. If you can be bothered. I'm sure other people have many other possible contributions.

2D scene graph
http://svn.xerian.net/xerian.net/nervis/trunk/nervis/sg.py

2D state engine
http://svn.xerian.net/xerian.net/nervis/trunk/nervis/engine.py

My own resource management strategy:
http://svn.xerian.net/xerian.net/nervis/trunk/nervis/resource.py

Another scene graph implementation, with only a OpenGL backend:
http://svn.xerian.net/xerian.net/opre/trunk/opre/

And another one:
http://svn.xerian.net/xerian.net/SiGL_legacy/trunk/SiGL/

As the code currently stands, it needs work, Most of it is in some state of flux between projects, and is disorganised.

The point is, if these tools (esp. the scene graph) were a standard
pygame tool, I personally would put more effort into extending an
official tool, rather than continually hacking and re-arranging my
own. An official pygame-contrib would encourage more collaboration,
and provide better tools.

-Sw.