Re: [pygame] SDL doesn't cope well with FreeSans

Greg Ewing wrote:

Whenever I try to use the FreeSans font with SDL,
either through PyGame or Soya, I get disappointing
results. The characters come out slightly
higglety-pigglety -- randomly displaced up or down
a pixel or so from the baseline.

Something about the calculation of the font height
seems to be off, too.

The fonts that come with MacOSX don't have these
problems, so the fault doesn't seem to be with SDL
or FreeType.

Has anyone else noticed this? If it's a problem
with the quality of FreeSans, can anyone recommend
a free Helvetica-like font family that doesn't
have this problem?

Yes, I've seen this, presumably the hinting is either wrong or missing. Bitstream Vera Sans is the obvious free sans-serif typeface, though it is nothing like Helvetica. http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

Alex.