Re: [pygame] Perlin Noise Function

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM, DR0ID <dr0id@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I think Perlin noise exist already for python, unless you really want to do it by yourself.

Here is one I know of: http://code.google.com/p/caseman/downloads/list

There are porbably more implementations out there.

~DR0ID

That looks like a really neat lib! Glad to know about it.

Hugo arts also had some thought about this
>I'm not sure Perlin Noise would belong in the base pygame package. Though useful in some cases, it's not a critical/elementary function for game development. It might be a better idea to offer the functionality as an auxiliary library, >or perhaps bundle it together with other procedural generation tools.
.

I agree that this is not a basic function but I don't see it as being less basic than pygame.transform.laplacian - find edges in a surface. Perlin noise has a LOT of uses with game writing: surfaces, shapes, and movement can all be made better using it.

I have not checked out that Caseman lib in full but from what I see it only has 3d perlin and not other dimensions and I don't know how fast it is.

I also agree that we could make a whole section of code like this. There are other types of noise, a lot of vector math toys like unit vector and perpendicular vector etc that get used a lot in game making. I am sure there are more that could be rounded up for a nice set of functions. Then there are even really big ones like AI functions that could be written (I keep thinking that a Prolog lib for python would be great for making games!) but then that is in the same class as a gui or 3d etc.

--
Douglas E Knapp