Re: [pygame] Pygame 1.8.1 released!

Pygame is a multi-platform package organized for Python distutils. Distutuils has a dbist_msi option used to build the Windows installers. It is a compromise command and so is not perfect. To fully use the features of the Windows Installer a project has to be organized around .msi. A better installer could be hand built, but it would also have to be maintained by hand. I assume newer Visual Studios automate msi installer maintenance as a projects evolves, but then we are not using Visual Studio. Anyway the Pygame .msi installer has been fixed so it will installer overtop a previous Pygame version and delete obsolete files.

Lenard

techtonik wrote:
Downloads page http://pygame.org/download.shtml warns about issues
that may arise if you don't uninstall previous versions. I've seen
some .MSI installers that are able to detect previous version,
remember installation path and uninstall it. I thought it should as
easy as specifying right option in installer config.