Re: [pygame] how to remove spam comments in pygame wiki

Hey Jug (and Devon),
    Open Source has never been something that implies anyone can contribute to anyone else's work. It doesn't mean that people will work together. It doesn't mean that decisions are made democratically or by consensus - it doesn't mean that people will compromise with each other. The fact is most successful open source projects are run by dedicated individuals who pretty much do what they want and think is best (Linux and Python come to mind). The history of all such projects is filled with numerous examples of both well meaning and talented individuals doing good work that is rejected by maintainers for various reasons. Help is frequently refused.

When comes to people actually collaborating on open source stuff, really it's just a bunch of individuals doing exactly what they feel like doing and what they think is best (cause their work is on their spare time). Sometimes interests align so people work together. Sometimes somebody just has solved a particular problem before and is willing to share. Patches are usually accepted. All the normal things of people not getting along and having trouble working together, and splitting off and going different directions happens. Open Source isn't some magic thing that changes any of that. Believing that it is, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

...In fact, the truly great thing about Open Source is that it is set up to embrace the parts of human behavior and nature to do what they want and go in their own direction. The source belongs to everybody, and nobody can put restriction on it. Everybody is free to fork, redistribute, cannibalize and transform the product in any way they want, as long as it stays free for others to do so as well. Also, with the pygame name, presumably in the spirit of open source, there are no trademark declarations (registered or not), so there's no licensing issues or restrictions with using the pygame name. So anybody can promote or advertise the name however they want.

My point is, nobody is trying to stop you from building exactly what website or sites you want, regardless of how it relates to pygame or advertises itself. And even if anyone was trying to, legally they could not stop you. If you want to provide value for the pygame community with a kick-ass site, I say please do. And do exactly what you think is best. I do appreciate you polling the user list for feedback, and I'd be happy to give some when I have it and I'll do my best to be constructive. If the site offers significant and real value above the current one, I'd visit it and use it. If it doesn't, then I'd use what already exists, cause it's got inertia behind it and it's already tested and established. I'm sure many other mailing list people and many other pygame users feel the same.

As far as the pygame.org name, and running code on the current pygame.org web servers, the people who control them don't see value in opening those things up to the project you are working on now. Maybe if you have something awesome and/or make it easy enough to switch over they'll feel different, then again maybe they won't. But either way, nobody's stopping you from making a good pygame website, if that's what you want to do.