[pygame] Getting Festival to play nice with Pygame?

hey all--

	I'm attempting to use both Festival (The Text-To-Speech synthesizer)
and Pygame simultaneously in my application. To be exact, my application
is loading up the "festival_server" daemon during program
initialization, and later feeding text to the daemon by connecting to it
directly.

	If I just use Festival, everything works perfectly fine. If I load
Festival and then Pygame, I never get any TTS output. If I load Pygame
and then Festival, I get TTS output maybe once or twice out of every ten
times I load the program (making no changes to the code in between).

	Also, I notice that sometimes when I load my program, I get this error
when Pygame initializes:

esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...

	I don't get this error consistently. Festival *only* works when I get
this error, but not *every time* I get this error.

	It's all all a little confusing, but as far as I can tell, when esd
fails to load, Festival works fine. I'm loading the daemon through an
os.fork() call, as so:

result = os.fork()

if result == 0:
  os.execlp("festival_server", "festival_server", "-c", \
            "festival_server.config")
else:
  self.pid = result

	Some of the inconsistency is no doubt because the festival_server is
various parts to try and locate exactly where things are going wrong.

	Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks in advance.

-Steve Castellotti
 SteveC@innocent.com
 http://cogengine.sourceforge.net/

PS: I'm running RedHat 7.3, stock kernel, and Pygame 1.5