Re: [pygame] pygame-vcs & mcop/SIG_PIPE error

Pete Shinners writes:
 > strange, well this hasn't really changed in pygame for several versions, so
 > it's interesting that only now you see this message. my guess is that your
 > new SDL is built with sound deamon support?

This is definitely possible, I'm going to look into this right now.
It's definitely possible, I'm using the june 13th cvs version of SDL
and Sam make have messed with the sound drivers, I'll check the notes.

 > pygame adds signal handlers for a few of the more common crashing signals.
 > this way pygame can cleanly shutdown sound/graphics/input when the program
 > is abnormally stopped. these are the same signals that SDL's parachute
 > catches, so you will likely see this same error on most SDL games?

Oddly enough -- the examples (with sound) didn't generate the error.

 > anyways, this only seems like some sort of warning, that the MCOP system is
 > overriding the pygame signal handler with its own. SDL is likely hooking
 > into the shared audio daemon when this happens this you see the warning.

It actually caused an early program exit from pygame.init() -- not
just a warning...

On a related note, is there a recommended way to catch the SDL parachute
in pygame in order to get a stack trace or poke around in the python
environment before actually exiting?

/jamie

--
office: 510-643-3573                mail: 3210 Tolman Hall #1650
   lab: 510-642-1950                      U.C. Berkeley