[pygame] State of the Pygame

Hey guys, trying to give an update here. It's been a long time since Pygame-1.6 was released, and things are quite overdue. At quick glance it may seem like Pygame development has stalled, but that isn't quite the case.

I've been working on and off for the last 3 months on replacing the Pygame Movie and Music backend with libavformat and libavcodec. Progress has been good, but not quite good enough.

http://www.pygame.org/ftp/contrib/movieshot.jpg
http://www.pygame.org/ftp/contrib/pygamemovie.jpg

The Movie end is working very well actually, as you can preview from the screenshots. The new decoding backend brings a lot of formats to the table and works great. Unfortunately there are a few stumbling blocks that have made this hard.

First, these ffmpeg libraries have no documentation, and do not offer much in the line of example code. They are extremely complex and low level. The current stable release is over a year old, the developers all claim it is "not good" and recommend cvs snapshots.

Because I've had such a hard time getting it working, there are a few features I just can't get implemented. Things like seeking forward, and skipping and adjusting to compensate for computers too slow. I consider these critical features, at least for replacing the current Movie module we have with SMPEG. I'm really hoping someone with ffmpeg coding experience can swoop in and make the final changes it will need.

In any event, the time has come to get Pygame-1.7 out the door. I'd like to set a target of 6-7 weeks, but that may be a little too quick. If the new Movie support can't get any better, it will probably come as an unsupported and 'experimental' pygame module for now.

As for the other new features I've got my eyes set on. I have a gigantic backlog of patches and bugs on my todo list. We already have a much improved sprite module, thanks to the efforts of Joe Wresching. I'll get a full list of fixes I'm trying to get ready for 1.7. It may even turn out I'll be calling out for assistance on some of the items.

The main things to look forward to will be cleaned up documentation, surfarray and sndarray fixes, new advanced overlay objects for video support, and several crashing bugfixes like in arc drawing.

More details coming soon. If you are anxious to get ahold of the new Movie stuff, it is currently checked into Pygame CVS. You'll have to manually enable it in the "Setup" configuration file. Just be aware things will be changing.

Anyways, thought I'd share as I'm sure you are all getting curious.