[pygame] Hardware Surface with Font.Blit

Hello,
   I've been able to dig up any information on this, so perhaps I'm missing
something, but I'm interested in using pygame for opengl rendering as well as for
its font capabilities. I've been using the video flags "pygame.locals.OPENGL |
pygame.locals.DOUBLEBUF | pygame.locals.HWSURFACE" up until now. In attempting to
render text via:
    font = pygame.font.Font(None, 36)
    text = font.render(str("TEST DISPLAY"), 1, (200, 00, 00))
    textpos = text.get_rect()
    textpos.topleft = (50,20)
    self._screen = pygame.display.get_surface()
    self._screen.blit(text, textpos)
    pygame.display.flip( )

I get the error:
  File "/....py", line 1066, in foo
    self._screen.blit(text, textpos)
pygame.error: Cannot blit to OPENGL Surfaces (OPENGLBLIT is ok)

I've tried adding "pygame.locals.OPENGLBLIT" to my video flags which removes the
error but doesn't display anything either. I can only get this to work when I
only use the double buffer flag, which doesn't help me without opengl support.

Thanks in advance for any insight as to this issue,
Cheers.