[pygame] Isometrics

I'm having some success with an isometric tile display:
http://niss-the-ai.livejournal.com/32795.html
This uses only Pygame, not OpenGL. The sprites aren't animated right now but auto-load multiple animation frames and can be manually told to change frames. The translucent water plane washes up and down, but looks subtly wrong when a character is standing "on top" of it. There's also music.

Right now I can place sprites using iso coordinates and have them move instantly in increments of whole tiles, like chess pieces. The display also can be set to scroll to follow a POV character. Unfortunately the system is hideously inefficient, with each tile being drawn and its position recalculated each frame for the sake of proper transparency, rather than "precompiling" it to its own surface. It's also a pain to make the tiles, especially those side pieces. A program called PyKira offers some way of making them automatically from square textures, but I wasn't able to get it working.

This program is the equivalent of a chess board, storing the pieces themselves but not the rules by which they move. Next I want to hook this up to my "Aquablue" worldsim, which will feed it movement data and load world data from XML files as it used to. As I did with my 2D "Coral" display system, I want this set up so that you can walk forever in any direction with no loading screens.

Kris