[pygame] 2D physics with round things

Hi guys,

I'm writing a 2d physics engine for the game I'm working on. I know
it's not strictly pygame-specific, but I was wondering if anyone had
any good resources on collision detection. I've read the Seperating
Axis Test stuff on both Metanet and in the tutorial at
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=251638.
Specifically, the question I have is, how do I check if a circle has
collided with a polygon? I have some code based on distances between
the center and the line segments of the polygon, but it's really ugly
and there are lots of cases where it breaks, and I was hoping for
something more elegant.

Thanks for any links.

Ethan