From: Miriam English [mailto: mim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:32:40 +1000
Subject: [pygame] getting pygame to work on Puppy Linux

Hi folks,I've been gradually migrating everything on my machines from MSWindows to a few flavors of Linux. My favorite form of Linux so far is Puppy Linux, but I can't for the life of me get pygame working on it. Python was easy to install. I can get the main SDL library compiled, but not SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, SDL_image, smpeg. So I've tried copying the appropriate libs from rpms (though I know that is fraught with problems of incompatible versions).When I try to run any pygame program it simply fails with the message:"Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Floating Point ExceptionAborted"Can anybody give me any pointers?If nothing else can anybody tell me how to compile the SDL libs (SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, SDL_image, smpeg, etc) that pygame needs. The source downloadables don't give any clue that I can see, and simply dropping binaries in has yielded no joy.Has anybody got pygame to work from start, without relying on python + SDL + other stuff already in the OS?It is so easy to
do on MS-Windows. I'm surprised it is so difficult in Linux.Best wishes,	- Miriam-- ---------=---------=---------=---------=---------=---------=------A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?---------=---------=---------=---------=---------=---------=------Website: http://miriam-english.orgBlog: http://miriam-e.livejournal.com

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com