Re: [pygame] pygame networking redux

hi

not sure if directly related to this but I find OSC protocol very interesting to send info over the net, it was developed as a replacement of MIDI, but it is just a network protocol as far as i understand. There are python bindings and I did a layer around the original bindings to simplify the api as much as possible.
http://www.ixi-software.net/content/download/simpleosc0.2.3.zip

I cannot find a link to the original OSC.py but it is included in the zip above in case you want to work directly with the sockets, etc...

enrike

Phil Hassey(e)k dio:
Another library worth considering is: http://pyraknet.slowchop.com/ - I haven't used it myself, but I've heard many good things about raknet. It's a networking library written primarily for games. **

Phil

*/Toni Alatalo <antont@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Simon Wittber kirjoitti:
     > I think that is a matter of one's perspective on what is 'nice'.

    sure seems like that.

     > Also, I don't really think it is such a big project. I've built this
     > sort of low level system before (using TCP instead of UDP) with
    higher
     > level stuff to pass dictionaries around in network messages... and

    ok.. but,

     > they end up being < 10k code, and much less intrusive than the
    twisted
     > reactor. (http://fibranet.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nanotubes.py)

    'intrusive'? as in .. filesize?

    did not look at that code yet, will certainly check out, thanks for
    mentioning :)

     > I also want to use UDP, so I have more opportunities to tweak my
     > protocol to fit the way my games / app want to work.

    I was also curious if there are ways to use Twisted with UDP, I
    actually
    thought/assumed there are.

    Then again, we have not tested yet for the relatively-low-latency
    networking need we have for a game now, will be interesting to see if
    TCP cuts it -- if not, there are existing libs that use UDP for these
    kinds of things too, which we can test, if TCP, and hence some of the
    existing simple tools, is too slow. I planned to test TCP with Tofu
    first (the twisted, but not pb?, using thing from the folks who make
    soya3d (oomadness)), and then perhaps look at Verse and/or VOB from
    interreality.org .. then again I should first check what game libs
    there
    are, do remember that there were some folks use in some SDL games
    *googles a bit so you dont have to teach me* uh well "game networking
    library" gives a lot now.

    Well, we'll proceed along that plan soon enough - am also interested to
    here and see how your things work.

    ~Toni

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47094/*http://farechase.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTFicDJoNDllBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BHBvcwMxMwRzZWMDZ3JvdXBzBHNsawNlbWFpbC1uY20-> with Yahoo! FareChase.