Re: [pygame] MOD files question

Hi Will,

>The docs for pygame.mixer.music mention MOD files. What kind of MOD
>files can PyGame play? Does anyone still use them? I don't think I have
>even seen any since  MP3 took over!
>Thanks,
>Will McGugan

I went to great effort a few weeks ago to get fmod (a commercial sound package) to play mod files with pygame, only to be told that pygame supports mod files, as you mentioned. So I tried a few different modules with pygame, including a standard ".mod" file, an ".IT" (Impulse Tracker) file, and ".XM" (extended module?) file and, if I remember correctly, an "S3M" (ScreamTracker) file. All the mod files I've ever played are in one of those formats, so pygame's module support is pretty good. Regarding whether people still use mod files, I used them in a Windows DirectX game because they were of much higher quality than any MIDI music I've heard. But the quality will really depend on the musical score. I've found some excellent mod files on the net. There are several web sites devoted to mod files, so mods are still popular. I have heard, however, that musicians who used to write music in mod format are now changing over to composing midi music.

On another note (pun!), my linux box will not play mod files properly. First I had trouble with playing OGG files, but then someone told me I had to change the SDL sound settings. That fixed the OGG playback, but all the modules I play hiss, and I have changed every SDL sound setting but have had no luck; I still get hissing playback of all mods. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew.