Re: [pygame] learning pygame: what to focus for a board game?

On Jun 15, 2007, at 3:22 AM, massimo s. wrote:

The nice thing is that doing things this way will probably get
you Model-View-Controller for free.  If you don't know what
that is, read http://sjbrown.ezide.com/games/writing-games.html
and then google around for some more until you understand why
this is a good idea.

Ah, design patterns! Being not a professional programmer (I'm actually a biophysics ph.d. student) they always escaped me -I tried to have a look
at them but I didn't understand a lot of them. Not that I looked very
thoroughly. I'll surely dig it. Thanks a lot.

One caution I would make: Don't let a pursuit of design pattern ideals get in the way of your real goals of creating a fun game (and having fun creating it). I find that I lose interest in hobby projects real fast when I'm not having fun creating it anymore. To me having something that works is more fun then not, even if the thing that works is not a marvel of software engineering "best practices".

Also, I usually write code under the assumption that it will need to be refactored, if not rewritten at some point. Once a project gets going most of the code I write is refactoring and extending existing code as opposed to writing new code from scratch. This allows you to make progress in small steps all the while having a working system.

One of the greatest things about python IMO is its ability to be a productive tools for both weekend hackers and engineers alike. Since I'm both, that makes it ideal for me 8^)

-Casey