Re: [pygame] Display-less PyGame

On Thu, June 21, 2007 3:11 am, Charles Joseph Christie II wrote:
> ika looks pretty awesome... But now I'm all "I want to use pygame but
> this looks really interesting but I want to learn to make my own game
> engine in pygame but this one is already great bu.... *head asplodes"
>
> Crap. I don't know what I want to use now :P

I've switched engines repeatedly too. If I can make the one I'm working on
be halfway decent, it might be worth offering to people (free). Whether
it's useful depends on what people actually want from an engine. What sort
of tradeoff would you want to see between ease of use for the newcomer
versus flexibility?

Verge (ika's ancestor) used 2D tiles but, when I played it years ago,
seemed pretty limited because it was missing basic things like inventory,
menus and a battle system. The focus seemed to be on making RPGs in the
style of "Final Fantasy VI," a good one to imitate, but people were able
to adapt it for some other things.

ZZT and Megazeux were "text mode" games, but I meant that they used ASCII
(or modified ASCII) _as_ graphics. Especially with Megazeux, the later of
the two, this worked surprisingly well.

One other thing: I checked lostgarden.com again recently and saw that that
writer has released two new sets of free graphics that might be of
interest to Pygame users: some cartoon tiles and space graphics.