[pygame] resources for edge tile algorithm

I am looking into edge tile placement algorithms for 2D square tile maps, for the pygame 'bloodcurse'. The idea is I have a layer of square tiles representing each type of terrain laid down. Then another layer with transparent curves is layered over the top of the previous layer to create transitions from terrain x to y. I can do this fine manually, but I was wondering what similar ideas anyone has done, or any relevant links on the subject? Ultimately, layer 1 will be randomly generated, and 2 will have to follow.

Thanks