Re: [pygame] ANN: Twitch 1.0

Francis Irving writes:
 > A few suggestions about the game:
 > - Right mouse button, or perhaps the mouse wheel (buttons four and five in SDL)
 > to change weapon would be really handy.

I had considered this. I was concerned that this would be confusing
for Mac users - don't they just have one mouse button? At one point I
had a full keybinding system in the game, where you could assign
arbitrary keys and mouse buttons to actions. Maybe I'll revisit that.

 > - I found the controls quite awkward.  The imprecise mouse pointer is kind of
 > clever, but it is also annoying - i think I want it to just behave like a
 > normal mouse pointer.

Actually, the two aiming systems included in the game are actually the
5th and 6th different systems I tried. Ask Pete, he was my guinea
pig for many of them :) I tried the normal mouse pointer idea, but
found that it made the game too easy - you just put the pointer on the
bad guy and blew him away. Maybe I'll put this back in as another
aiming option.

 > - It's too hard for me ;-)  Enemies would be much more fun if they blew up in
 > one shot.  Perhaps they could deteriorate more as you shoot them?  More, weaker
 > enemies!

The "many weak" vs. "a few strong" enemies is a decision most arcade
games have to deal with. I went with the latter out of a mistaken
belief that Python wasn't going to be fast enough to support the AI
and blitting requirements of a large number of enemies. By the time I
realized that python was up to the task, the play balance was already
developed.

I'm sorry you're finding it difficult. Here's a hint - as in Quake,
you can run faster diagonally than horizontally or vertically. You can
use this technique to stay ahead of the bad guys in levels 1-3.

--
David Clark
silenus@telus.net