[pygame] Segfault in pygame.image.tostring()?

I'm trying to save screen shots as .png's using PIL, but I'm getting
a segfault in a pygame when I try to convert the screen image into
a string:

def saveScreen( self, fileName = "screenshot.tga" ):
    screen   = pygame.display.get_surface()
    imageStr = pygame.image.tostring( screen, "RGBA", 0 )  #!!! Segfault!?
    image    = PIL.Image.fromstring( "RGBA", screen.get_size(), imageStr )
    image.save( fileName )

What's odd is that if I save the image directly in pygame, it works fine.
I can also load the image from a file into PIL, and then save it:

def saveScreen( self, fileName = "screenshot.tga" ):
    pygame.image.save( pygame.display.get_surface(), fileName )
    #!!! Kludge to save .png
    image = PIL.Image.open( fileName )
    image.save( "screenshot.png" )

Here's the error message:
<File and line number pointing to tostring line>
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Plesae contact the application's support team for more information.
shell returned 3

Has anyone else seen anything like this, or have any ideas what could
cause this?
-Jasper