[pygame] Pyopengl blitting vs quads?

I need fast 2D alpha images, opengl supports a kind of blitting.
glDrawPixels( textureSurface.get_width(), textureSurface.get_height(), GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, textureData)

Works but I cant get alphas, does anyone know weather DrawPixels is slower or faster then textures on quads?

PS, I also found that textures on quads need to be 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc- I bit of a limitation.