[ANN] pkgdata (was: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [pygame] python + pygame on OSX)

To end this thread, I went ahead and implemented it. I have also modified pygame accordingly to support this mechanism.

http://undefined.org/python/pkgdata-0.1.tgz

"""
pkgdata is a simple, extensible way for a package to acquire data file resources.

The implementation is lightweight, and is intended to be included *inside*
your Python packages.
"""

It's based on PyProtocols (but the implementation doesn't require it unless you want to override the default mechanism). Basically, it's useful for py2exe and OS X bundlebuilder type situations. It's a simple and flexible alternative to os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), "myresource"). The source is simple, and has lots of examples. Read if you're interested.

If you would like to see additional examples of its use, checked out pygame CVS:
pygame/lib/pkgdata.py (this is the pkgdata "client")
pygame/lib/macosx.py (usage from python)
pygame/src/font.c (usage from C)
pygame/src/display.c (more usage from C)
pygame/examples/macosx/aliens_app_example/ (this has the pkgdata "host adapter" for bundlebuilder type situations)

-bob