Re: [pygame] Pygame to C/C++?

On Mar 1, 2004, at 12:38 AM, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

I'm thinking of rewriting some of my Python/Pygame code into C (or C++?) with SDL to get a speed improvement.
[...]
Good luck on this. There hasn't been a lot of experimentation on this sort of thing. I'm sure other besides myself are interested in seeing what kind of results you will get.
I've done this. It worked f'ing sweet for me.

Tips:
1. Never trust your instinct on where to optimize -- it's mostly wrong. Use the Python profiler to find what to rewrite.
2. Use SWIG.

Note that moving to SDL will only speed things up if the slow part is in Python. Moving to C does not reduce the number of calculations that must be done in a game -- it just drops all the overhead that comes with Python bytecode.
From my experience, I would say use Pyrex or Boost (if C++).. not SWIG. I totally agree with your other points, though.

-bob