Re: [pygame] Games as Win EXE

On Mar 24, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Noah Spurrier wrote:

Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Mar 24, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Noah Spurrier wrote:

Dan wrote:

I couldn't help noticing the description explanation of how to compile/distribute a Python program as a Windows executable:
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/Executable.html

That's neat: I didn't know such a thing existed. But the user still has to install the SDL separately, doesn't he? And what about PyGame: does he have to install that too?

If anyone has experience with this, please enlighten me. Thanks!

No, it wraps up everything -- python, pygame, SDL, and everything else in your script.
I've build totally stand-alone EXEs that would run on virgin machines.
You don't have to install anyting else. It all runs right from the EXE.

Well, a directory with an exe, some dlls, and some pyds... but (hopefully) no external dependencies other than Windows itself.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also use Nullsoft Scriptable Install System [[http://nsis.sourceforge.net/]]
to create a stand-alone compressed EXE. Good stuff.

Me too, but it makes startup quite slow. Especially from a CD. However, as documented in the originally referenced URL, you will end up with a (presumably standalone) directory with a few files in it plus the exe.

Also note that any data files you need, music, fonts, whatever will have to be on the filesystem as well unless you jump through the appropriate hoops (which I am not interested in talking about yet, so please don't ask).

-bob