Problem solved! was: [pygame] Pygame.sprite ignores transparency?

Thanks everyone for replying so swiftly!

Brian's advise solved the problem.
The little demo program I put together to post here didn't have the transparency issue. So, the fault was in my code and not in Pygame. :p
Who would have thought ? ;)
It turned out I had not called clear() properly. The transparency was "lost" because it repeatedly drew the same (immobile) sprite again and again, effectively "painting in" the semi-transparent parts.

Cheers,
/Martin

Brian Fisher wrote:
Hey Martin,
 One of the best ways to get help on an issue like this is to post a
little test script along with the images used. Also, sometimes you can
figure out stuff like this in the process of putting together a test
that demonstrates the problem.