[pygame] Timing question (newbie)

Hi all,

I have a question about timing - I want to make a little game based on rhythm input, a bit like dance dance revolution, patapon, or similar. The idea is that the player has to press a key within a specific time, getting more points the better the timing. And I have little idea how to do it.
I am thinking creating uservents, and the matching them to key input, but I am a bit clueless about the timing thing. Any help is welcome!

Thanks a bunch!