[pygame] scaling the entire screen

I'm completely new to this, but I've been trying to
figure out if there's a way to scale an entire game to
a higher resolution, like what is frequently done in
emulators etc so i could allow the user to play at the
low resolution or scale it higher if desired.  Is
there a simple way to do this? And even if there is,
would that somehow mess up any game logic that uses
pixels (ie sprites moving at half speed etc)? I've
tried using pygame.transform.scale and scale2x on the
screen, background, and display hoping one of those
would magically be a surface that held all the images
blitted to it and could then scale up. but it either
does nothing or makes everything black if i try and
copy the screen to a new screen surface.

Any help or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Devon

Looking for last minute shopping deals?