Re: [pygame] question about scrolling the world

On Mar 20, 2008, at 12:29 PM, Michael Fiano wrote:

Being new to game design, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to load the whole map data and blit the huge surface to the screen so that a lot of it is off-screen, then moving it with an offset value for the scrolling.
Is the cpu going be busy updating off-screen pixels? Is this
inefficient? I can't think of an easier way to do it for my existing
code. Thanks.

As mentioned, it will clip as needed, however depending on the size it may still take a lot of memory to hold the entire surface at once. Caveat emptor.

--Noah