[pygame] a gsoc idea: networking

I'm making a game similar to fantastic contraption ( http://fantasticcontraption.com/ ). One of the cool features of that game is that users can create their own levels and solutions, and they can be shared, ranked and played by other players. I'd love to have that functionality, but like many pygame developers I'm writing a free game, and I'm too poor to host that kind of service. One alternative would be to build some kind of peer-to-peer replicated solution where players hold copies of data that they select, as well as some amount of other user's data, with an overlay scheme used to avoid a centralized server. I think the sharing of user-rated content is a unique space for p2p systems, and I don't know if there's a good existing solution there.

Another related idea would be to build a latency-sensitive overlay network for doing game discovery for multiplayer games. Currently, I think most internet multiplayer games use a centralized server to do discovery. Again, this design requires more resources than many open-source games have available.

I'm not sure if there are good solutions for these problems already, but if not, I think it would be useful to have a module for doing this available. I think these projects would be ambitious, but doable, and might even lead to a nice research paper if a student wanted to go that direction. I might be able to mentor a student if they wanted to take on one of these projects.

--Mike