[pygame] Google Summer of Code student hints

Hi,

it's great to see that there are so many students who express interest
in working on pygame related tasks during the Google Summer of Code.
Unfortunately, as Rene already mentioned in another mail, it is unlikely
that we will get more than two or three mentoring slots and thus
students to work with (and probably we will be even lucky if we get
two or three slots :-).

Thus, it is explicitly recommended that you do not focus on pygame
only. The majority of those who are interested are unlikely to be chosen
and if you apply to multiple projects (e.g. two or three), chances that
one of them will pick you are much higher.

So do not limit yourself to pygame only, but you might also want to look
at other related projects, such as PySoy, the Python core itself, SDL or
one of the other 148 organisations and their projects and tasks.

If you did not do that already, now would be the time.

Now for some pygame-specific hints:

 * talk to us

 * once more: talk to us, send us an email, if you are unsure about how
   to apply correctly or whom to ask for specific advises, send us your
   applications, do not be shy, you won't be laughed at(*)

 * if you are also applying for other projects and organisations, it
   would be nice to drop us (or the specific mentor, if mentioned) a
   short note about that. When it comes to choosing projects, we can
   then easily get back to you and the other organisations and sort
   things out, so that you do no end up without any task to work on

 * think about what is interesting for _you_. Some of the ideas do not
   require much to comment on, but to flesh out the details only, some
   require you to ask as they are pretty unspecific. All of them should
   require you to put some thought into it and come up with what you
   think might be interesting to do on that task. Especially the AI
   stuff is a candidate that requires you to come up with ideas that
   might be of interest for all, but mainly you as you have to spend
   three months on it ;-)

 * bring up own ideas, if you have any. They will be discussed, maybe
   accepted, maybe not - but they will not left unheard. Do not limit
   yourself to the ideas list only. If you think, task XY might be
   worth, bring it up (yes, even the GUI proposal was and is good to be
   brought up!)

 * if no specific mentor is mentioned for a task it does _not_ mean that
   the task will not be worked on. It just means that noone of the
   mentors claimed to take over that task already. Thus, things like the
   sprite and scene system are of interest for us and won't be easily
   rejected. If your application for them is so amazingly outstanding,
   one of us will take it later on. In any case we or at least one of us
   will comment on it

 * even if several people expressed interest for a certain task, that
   does not mean it is not available anymore (hello pygame math and the
   thre quadrillion people interested :-). But the more people want to
   work on a specific task, the higher the requirements will be. This is
   not for keeping you away from the task, but we would like to have
   passionate students working on their tasks as this means the biggest
   fun for all of us, mentors and students, and the biggest outcome for
   that task. Thus, read the next item on this list, too

 * if you are interested in several tasks, apply for them. You are not
   limited to applying for one task only. But be aware that you should
   have an idea about what to do for each of the tasks

(*) except it is extraordinary funny

Regards
Marcus