Re: [pygame] A* module using surfaces for walkability data

This seems to be only usable in specific situations - can only be used
in a 2d euclidean map.  A* is usable in so many other ways I would
want a module within pygame to be more general and able to be
configured to work in many very different situations.  On the other
hand, it sounds like it is well optimized, and having an a* module is
better than not having one.  Perhaps a general version could use this
for situations where it makes sense, and fall back to something else
for other situations?

A* is not hard to write for each game, but it can be annoying, and in
pure python can be pretty slow, so an optimized version available for
all games that need it would be great!

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Yanom Mobis <yanom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> building it in to pygame wouldn't be a good idea- it would take up space
>> even if you didn't use it. After all, modularity is the soul of python.

I almost never need cdrom, or cursors, or many of the other pygame
modules, but it is nice that they are there.  AI is a little bit new
for pygame, being outside of the scope of input/output, but there has
been talk about a possible ai module for a long tme.  A* should be the
first thing there, since it is the most solved ai problem, and one of
the most commonly needed modules.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Frozenball <orkkiolento@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I doubt text (code) will take much space?

It seems pretty small at that.