Re: [pygame] Re: GSoC project proposal: Pygame on rails

On, Mon Mar 08, 2010, Evan Kroske wrote:

> I wrote a blog entry about my idea that contains a more complete
> explanation of why I want to create this framework and what I hope it
> will accomplish. Check it out here:
> http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2010/03/gsoc-project-idea-insta-pygame.html

I do not think that a higher-level abstraction framework would make much
sense as a GSoC task for Pygame itself, mainly because

- different games have different needs
- developers have different ideas about the *how*, you mention
- keeping the framework generic enough to have a benefit for >=60-70% of
  the developer base will be an impossible task and lower its usage
- ...

Another problem is the range of your approach. From your example, the
system will include a scene manager, sprite engine, tile loader and
management, UI, event and action system, object logic, and, and, and...
Though it's possible to implement all those features, they would also be
able to cover some rough basics, making them mostly unusable for
advanced usage scenarios and less appealing for more complex
applications and games.

Personally, I'm not that happy with that idea for a GSoC :-).

Regards
Marcus