Re: [pygame] Re: GSoC project proposal: Pygame on rails

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Marcus von Appen <mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On, Mon Mar 08, 2010, Evan Kroske wrote:
>
>> I wrote a blog entry about my idea that contains a more complete
>> explanation of why I want to create this framework and what I hope it
>> will accomplish. Check it out here:
>> http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2010/03/gsoc-project-idea-insta-pygame.html
>
> I do not think that a higher-level abstraction framework would make much
> sense as a GSoC task for Pygame itself, mainly because
>
> - different games have different needs
> - developers have different ideas about the *how*, you mention
> - keeping the framework generic enough to have a benefit for >=60-70% of
>  the developer base will be an impossible task and lower its usage
> - ...
>
> Another problem is the range of your approach. From your example, the
> system will include a scene manager, sprite engine, tile loader and
> management, UI, event and action system, object logic, and, and, and...
> Though it's possible to implement all those features, they would also be
> able to cover some rough basics, making them mostly unusable for
> advanced usage scenarios and less appealing for more complex
> applications and games.
>
> Personally, I'm not that happy with that idea for a GSoC :-).
>
> Regards
> Marcus

Thanks for the frank evaluation of my proposal. In retrospect, my
project obviously doesn't line up with PyGame's goals , but I was too
excited about the possibilities to think it through. Thanks for saving
me the effort!

--
Evan Kroske
http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/