[pygame] Help with pygame.transform.threshold

Hi!
I'm trying to use the threshold function in a roguelike to get appropriate
background and foreground colors for tiles (simulating ASCII). I've simply
used pygame.transform.threshold(surface1, surface2, WHITE, (0,0,0), RED, 1,
None, True).
However, it keeps complaining "TypeError: must be pygame.Surface, not None".
If I change the None to a Surface it works, but obviously not the way I
intended to use the function... Is this simply a bug, or am I doing something
wrong?
Thanks.